About the Community for Deepening Practice (CDP)
The CDP is a vibrant and enriching program offered to all MSC graduates (including emerging MSC teachers) in conjunction with the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion. The course runs for about 8 months, and we meet weekly (not including holidays and rest breaks).
Because this is a graduates’ course, CDP is a deepening and elaboration of MSC. Participants re-commit to integrating and embodying self-compassion into daily life through regular, long-term practice in community with others. This more slowly paced, spiral learning approach allows participants to savor the practices anew as a way to consciously embody, expand, and deepen their learning. This is also an ideal course for emerging MSC teachers who wish to deepen their own embodiment in support of their future teaching endeavors.
- We’ll begin the CDP by clarifying intentions and exploring our individual challenges to bringing practice into the world. This sets the stage for our shared journey together. We will receive periodic guest teachings by senior CMSC teachers, including Chris Germer, Steve Hickman, Christine Braehler, Michelle Becker, and Kristy Arbon.
- The CDP will meet online together once a week in both small- and large-group configurations. Each meeting will include a combination of opening meditation, a group check-in, practice and discussion about the week’s topic(s)/practice(s), and a closing circle. Participants sometimes choose to meet each other at other times as well to practice together informally.
- As added support, participants are each offered two 1-on-1 sessions with a teacher for a dedicated discussion on each person’s progress in the course.
- We will provide an accessible, password-protected, online home in which participants can come together to connect via the discussion board, share resources, network, and discuss any topics which arise during the course.
- Participants are given fully optional Creative Invitations (see sample here), which we hope will encourage varied modes of engagement with each week’s topics. These Invitations will include guided journaling, photography, musical explorations, visual creations, guided movement exercises, and more. We will focus on process, not outcome, as way to deepen experience and be with what unfolds.
- Each CDP participant will receive access to our Community’s shared directory and discussion forums (hosted by Mighty Networks). True to all MSC practices, participants are invited to check in deeply with themselves and to take part (participate) in as much or as little as they wish.
- Also available is the MSC Circle of Practice, a weekly online meditation group offered by the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion volunteer teachers. The Circle of Practice is a free, drop-in, flexible, ongoing experience that is available to both CDP participants and the wider MSC graduate community as a whole.
In order to enjoy the program to the fullest, it is suggested that the minimum time commitment is 3 hours per week. It breaks down as follows:
- 2 hours per week for our online group meeting
- 1 hour to go over the week’s readings, materials, and practice(s)
- Strongly recommended: We invite up to 30 minutes/day of formal or informal meditation practice.
- Optional: Participants may use the online discussion forums and Zoom video conferencing software as often as they wish to connect outside of class hours
- Optional: There will be a variety of supportive readings and Creative Invitations available throughout the course to further engage learning and nurture an embodying of practice. We will also hold periodic, dedicated open forum meetings to discuss Creative Invitations.
- THIS IS NOT A DROP-IN PRACTICE GROUP. If you wish for a more variable schedule to accommodate an unpredictable job or life situation, you may wish to explore the MSC Circles of Practice, which provides six opportunities each week to practice in community with others.
2019 cohorts are currently in session, and three new cohorts will be offered beginning in January, 2020. Please click below to view available dates and times.
We are intentionally limiting the size of the CDP in order to engender an environment which supports trust, safety, and connection among participants and teachers. The maximum number of participants is 20, and we’ll meet in both large- and small-group configurations throughout the 8-month period.
In order to allow participation by the greatest number of people possible, the course fee of $1,600 USD can be paid in full at the beginning of the course or monthly (additional $50 admin. fee for monthly arrangement). A $250 deposit is required with each application. This reserves a participant’s spot during application review. Upon acceptance, the deposit will be deducted from the total cost of the course. (Convert to your local currency.)
There will be some financial support available for those who are unable to pay the full course fee. Please visit the financial support page to learn more.
For those who are considering joining us for the CDP journey:
- We appreciate this is a commitment of time and priority, and in order to support this, we would like you to consider: Is this the right time? During the course, we’ll invite you to renew your commitment to taking care of yourself by engaging the exercises, the practices/meditations, and each other. Our once-weekly meetings are 120 minutes, and the process of going inward, reflecting, and witnessing will benefit from dedicated space and time.
- While this is a committed process, we also understand that there may need to be occasional absences due to extenuating life circumstances (work commitments, family illness). However, if you cannot in good faith commit to consistent, ongoing participation for the duration of the course, please apply when you are able to do so.
- “Completion” of the course means that you’ve attended 75% or more of the weekly online meetings.
- Please note that this is open to ALL MSC GRADS, whether or not they teach MSC.