The following informal practice supports us in living in accord with our core values by shaping them into vows which we can use to anchor our life in what matters most. The vows we create for ourselves will act as a compass, or a safe place to return when we’re feeling adrift or a bit lost. When we stray from our vows, we use it as an opportunity to offer ourselves kindness; during these times, we offer redirect our focus back to our core values.
- Of the core values you’ve discovered, please choose one that you would like to maintain for the rest of your life.
- Write this value in the form of a vow: “May I…” or “I vow to ___ as best I can.”
- Close your eyes and repeat your vow silently. Notice how it feels when you set your intention in this direction. Does it feel right?
- If you like, repeating your vow daily. For instance, before you get out of bed, put your hand on your heart and say your vow a few times before getting up. You can repeat this again before you go to sleep.
- If you are a person who appreciates ritual—for instance, lighting a candle when you make your vow—feel free to do so.
© Christopher Germer, Kristin Neff, Michelle Becker, Steve Hickman. All rights reserved.