As a part of this weeks’ class, we discussed seven common obstacles to living in accordance with our values. These obstacles are as follows:
- Being over-identified with negative beliefs about ourselves.
- Having unrealistic expectations about making our desired change.
- Perfectionism; suffering in response to doing things imperfectly.
- Resistance to difficult emotions that can arise through the process of change.
- Becoming disconnected from our core values.
- Guilt and forgiveness around making change.
- Failing to notice where your life IS in alignment with your core values.
Journal and a pen(s)
Grounding into the breath, re-read the obstacles on the list above. Notice whether there are any particular obstacles here that are strongly present in your life and experience.
Among the seven common obstacles listed above, are there any that directly cause you to compromise alignment with your core values?
If so, please take a moment to list some of those circumstances.
For instance, if perfection (obstacle #3) causes you to keep procrastinating about starting a business you’ve deeply longed to begin, you can simply name this.