Our journey begins! Welcome.
At long last, we meet! We are so grateful that you are here and welcome you into our Community as the first group of intrepid explorers—pioneers of the CDP—who are on an eight-month journey of deepening self-compassion together.
We will have many invitations to offer during the course of these eight months; the first is to consciously prepare. Please use the checklist below to guide you. As always, if you have any questions, you may email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checklist for beginning the course:
[icon name=”check-square-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Read and sign the MSC Community for Deepening Practice Guidelines for Respecting Ourselves and Each Other
[icon name=”check-square-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Craft your online space (You can do that here and return anytime you wish to make changes.)
[icon name=”check-square-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Set up your physical space
[icon name=”check-square-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Gather your materials
[icon name=”check-square-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Make technical preparations
Lastly, please be on the lookout for additional preparatory instructions in your email inbox. Official CDP communications will come to you there throughout the course.
Aimee and Bal
1 of 5: Read and Sign the CDP Guidelines
To ensure the well-being and safety of all CDP participants, we ask that read and sign the MSC Community for Deepening Practice Guidelines for Respecting Ourselves and Each Other. Here, we set expectations for confidentiality, taking responsibility for ourselves and care for each other, liability, and the practical details of technology.
2 of 5: Craft your online space
As a member of the CDP, you’ll receive an online Personal Profile Page, which is your personal home base in the community. It’s where we’ll get to know a little about you, and it’s also a centralized spot where your communications with fellow participants will “live” and flourish. Finally, it’s the place where you go to manage your account settings. (We’ll cover this in detail during our upcoming Tech Check sessions.)
Please register with the site and craft your PPP by visiting this link as soon as possible (and no later than Jan. 19). Once registered, simply click on the grey gear icon, click “edit profile,” and answer as many questions as you wish, knowing that you may come back anytime to make changes. Only other members of the community will be able to see what you share in your profile.
3 of 5: Set up your physical space
Please take some time to set up your personal space for both online meetings and daily practice. Privacy, good lighting, and comfortable seating are essential to a smooth experience for both you and your coursemates. Headphones with a microphone are not required but are recommended in that they help you hear and be heard more clearly. It is sometimes difficult to feel felt if we can’t hear or see each other, so these preparations are important.
Also think about any comfort items you’d like to have nearby during our class meetings (a drink, snack, a favorite sweater).
4 of 5: Gather your materials
As a member of the CDP, you will be offered a variety of ways in which to engage more deeply with MSC material. The only required items for this course are a dedicated notebook for journaling and pens you enjoy writing with. If you think you’ll want to participate in the Creative Invitations, below are some materials we suggest you have on hand to get you started:
- Camera. No need for complexity or great expense. A simple phone camera or digital point-and shoot will serve.
- A sketchbook with blank pages. This sketchbook will be your companion throughout the 8-month course. If you are able to shop for the sketchbook in person, we invite you to be with the sketchbook before buying it. As if on a Sense and Savor walk, touch the pages. How do they feel? Are they thick enough to hold your expressions, whether via paint or collage or marker? Inviting you to tend to your inner experience as you choose this creative companion. Take home the one that has most resonance for you. We want your sketchbook to act as an ongoing invitation to you, so it helps if you love to touch it and to look at it.
- Mark-making supplies. The possibilities are infinite! Consider buying a simple set of watercolors and a few paintbrushes to begin. If you like, add in markers, pencils, pastels, and a variety of pens. If you already have a visual arts practice, consider trying out one new type of mark-making material during this course. None of your materials need to be expensive, but as with your journal, choose the materials that speak to you. If you feel a strong dissonance with any materials, consider the significance of that as well.
- Other items could be needed as the course advances. We’ll let you know as they do.
5 of 5: Make technical preparations
- To accommodate multiple schedules, we will have two hourlong Tech Check options prior to the course beginning. You only need to attend one. During the Tech Check, we’ll familiarize ourselves with the online community interface and ensure that everyone has a working understanding of our conferencing software, www.Zoom.us.
- Option 1: Saturday, January 16 at 12:00 CST/6:00 GMT
- Option 2: Wednesday, January 20 at 12:00 CST/6:00 GMT (immediately prior to our first session)
- Prior to attending a Tech Check, please:
- Register for the course on the CDP website and create your PPP (“Crafting your online space” above)
- Sign up for a Zoom account (free)
- Download the most recent version of the Zoom App. Here is a Getting Started Guide if needed.
As you prepare for the course, questions may emerge. Please feel free to email them to us here, at email@example.com.