What advice would you offer to those
who are joining the CDP for the first time?
- Be prepared to work hard, cry hard, open your heart, participate as much as you can.
- Yes, it’s a big commitment. Yes, it’s hard to devote two hours a week for eight months. Yes, you have a lot of other things you could be doing right now. Remind yourself that this is a gift you’re giving yourself and it won’t be an opportunity you get a second time.
- Jump right in!
- All situations are cared for. I have learned so much from the approach. I would say to newcomers, “Don’t worry, all are welcome and valued here.”
- This wonderful program is WORK! If you really want to gain the most from it, participate, do the homework and face your backdraft! It can be painful yet so worth it.
- I found attending class regardless of my mood I was always uplifted afterwards. I also recognized help was always available if that was warranted.
- Bring curiosity and trust in yourself to this experience, ask more questions, know that you have the rest of your life to explore the readings/resources, enjoy this life changing experience!
- I would encourage myself (or a future participant) to set aside a good chunk of time and expect to be changed!
- Take a risk. Be vulnerable. There is something powerful in having people resonate with your story.
- You will get out of this what you put into it. When your brain wanders, get back in the game.
- Show up every week, even when it’s hard and all you want to do is give yourself a break. Show up anyway. You will not regret it.