“The MSC program is primarily about transforming suffering, but much of life is pleasant. To live all the moments of our lives more fully, we need to embrace both the negative and positive in our lives and in ourselves.”
- Camera (nothing fancy; a simple digital/phone camera will work)
- A safe place (outdoors or indoors) where you can move about slowly and mindfully, taking your time.
- Your journal
- Choose 3 images which stand out to you. In your journal, write down no less than 5 adjectives which describe each photo. Try and be as specific and concise as you can.
- Are there any themes or repeats among the adjectives you’ve written?
- What situation in your life do these themes or repeated adjectives remind you of? Notice the associated feelings in your body. Are these feelings similar or different to how you experience “ugliness” in your everyday life?
- Hand on your heart, note whether it is possible to hold yourself with tenderness as you tend to any difficult feelings. Staying with yourself until you feel the difficult feelings begin to shift.
- Finally, journal your response to the following question: How might the photos you’ve taken actually be an invitation to find the beauty and value in imperfection? And is it possible that the things you find “beautiful” could also have shadow sides?